Interesting People mailing list archives

The darkest side of ID theft

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:10:47 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Goltz <tgoltz () QuietSoftware com>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: The darkest side of ID theft
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:20:12 -0500

This is scary, and when tied in with the recent efforts to establish CAPS II, not only could you live in constant fear of being unjustly arrested, but you could find yourself unable to travel by air.

I personally have already been a victim of financial identity theft, and when arrested, the crook involved tried to give my name to law enforcement. Fortunately for me, because of the crime he was charged with, the police went to the extra effort required to correctly identify the criminal.

 There's nothing new about criminals using aliases to evade the law
criminals often try to give their buddy's name,
address, and date of birth to dupe police. But the explosion of
identity theft, and the ready availability of stolen digital dossiers
on innocent victims, makes it just as easy for a criminal to give a
stranger's personal data during an arrest. Once police book a
suspect under a fake name, that mistake can plague a victim for life.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/877978.asp?0si=-&cp1=1

Tom Goltz
(603) 594-9922
(603) 594-9939 (fax)