Interesting People mailing list archives

a bit of history more on Winston Churchill on Iraq

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:01:30 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Kazem, Don" <dkazem () nas edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:57:11 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Winston Churchill on Iraq

Dave;

This is my last post on the issue as I do not want to abuse the privilege of
being part of IP nor waste bandwidth with reciting history that can easily
be found in the reference section of any library.

At the end of this post, I offer links that provide detailed information
about Iran's borders with IRAQ and Russia during that time. Although, when
it was established, there was no IRAQ and Persia established it with the
Ottoman empire.

However, the following points are worth making:

I fully agree with Bruce Campbell that Churchill had a major impact on Iran.
Indeed, he shaped part of Iran's history. However, I must point out that Mr.
Campbell misconstrued my remarks.

He missed my point concerning Winston S. Churchill.  Let me be clear; the
text that was forwarded was an adaptation of his speech. Until I see the
actual text of his speech, I still find it hard to believe that a British
MP, and especially Churchill's grandson will claim that his grandfather
created Iran/Persia.

To allege that the British created Iran is absurd. Iran has been a country
for more than 2500 years, complete with armies, kings, borders, and
everything else that goes with it. And I do not believe that it is a proper
use of time or bandwidth to try to prove otherwise.

History has shown that sovereign nations are subject to cycles of power and
prosperity which is usually followed by periods of weakness. During such
periods, often foreign powers dispute the borders of vulnerable states,
attack them, impose their will, and attempt to take over some of their
territory. During such times, conquered nations may be subject to hegemony,
borders may be moved, even new religions or changes in culture may be
imposed on them. This does not erase the existence of the conquered
nation-state prior to the invasion.

Iran is no exception to this rule. Indeed, it has experienced many such
periods during its history. Recorded history reflects that Alexander the
Great, The Arabs, the Mongols, and the British (during WWI) all invaded
Persia during such periods. Kings fled, borders changed, the Arabs even
imposed their religion, but Persia did not cease to exist. Strong cultures
usually outlast the invaders.

Here is a relevant question: If we attack Iraq, throw out Saddam, and
install a military commander there for a while, even allow Turkey to annex
northern Iraq to deal with its Kurdish problem, does that erase Iraq's
existence off the map effective 2003??? (My own answer is no, but it would
be interesting to hear opposing views.)

To open the history books starting with 1921 and draw trivialized
conclusions based on a narrow slice of time, with a total disregard to
everything prior, is simply misguided. Here is a thirty thousand foot
overview of what happened during that period.

During the Qajar dynasty Persia was a nation-state and established a
constitution in 1907.  At the same time, Europe was going through
exponential growth and prosperity. The Ottoman Empire was established and
started to dispute some of Iran's borders. Russia invaded Iran and took some
of its territory (Persian Armenia), the British came and got all the oil for
40 years. These events all happened, but they do not erase Iran's existence
off the map.

The border in question, between Iraq and Iran, was first established in a
general agreement (without much detail) in 1639 known as the Treaty of Zohab
between PERSIA and the Ottoman Empire. There were a series of additional
treaties where details were clarified. The final treaty, known as the
Delimitation Commission Agreement, established Iran's current border in 1914
with the Ottoman Empire. This predates Churchill's involvement and is prior
to 1921.

For a detailed description of these see:

http://web.macam.ac.il/~arnon/Int-ME/extra/AN%20ANALYSIS%20OF%20IRAN.htm

Parenthetically, Iran's northern border was disputed by Russia in 1828 and
was "re-established" by the Treaty of Turkamancahi. Here is a link for
further information.

http://www.bartleby.com/65/tu/Turkmanc.html

Also see:

Great Britain & Reza Shah
The Plunder of Iran
By M.G. Majd
Published by University Press Florida; 2001