Interesting People mailing list archives

Defense Policy Guidance

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 15:42:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: jsq () quarterman com
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 13:55:42 -0600
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: jsq () quarterman com
Subject: Defense Policy Guidance

Dave,

I sent the appended to Barlow in response to his Sympathy for the Devil
piece,
which I quote from a bit.  He thought it might be of interest to IP, so here
is a slightly modified version of it.

The point of this message is that what Barlow deduced about Cheney's
purpose seems to match what Cheney and others closely associated with
him have explicitly stated.  This message is neither pro nor con those
statements; I am merely pointing them out.

By these terrible means, they will create a world where war conducted
by any country but the United States will seem simply too risky and
the Great American Peace will begin.

According to Defense Policy Guidance, written in 1992 by Paul Wolfowitz
(now Deputy Security of Defense) and I. Lewis Libby (now Vice President
Cheney's chief-of-staff), preventing the emergence of a rival superpower
 ``is a dominant consideration underlying the new regional
 defense strategy and requires that we endeavor to prevent
 any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would,
 under consolidated control, be sufficient to generate global power.''

 http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5345/view/print

The full text of that document does not appear to be available,
but a related document is available:

 `In 1997, the two authors of this military doctrine of military preeminence
 and preemptive strikes--Paul Wolfowitz and I. Lewis Libby--were among the
 25 signatories of the Statement of Principles of the neoconservative front
 group called the Project for the New American Century. Other signatories
 who are now also prominent figures in the current administration included
 their boss, former DOD Secretary Cheney, Elliott Abrams, Zalmay Khalilzad,
 Donald Rumsfeld, Paula Dobriansky, and Peter Rodman.'

 http://www.fpif.org/papers/foretold_body.html

that he is acting in the service of principles to which he has
devoted megawatts of a kind of thought that is unimpeded by sentiment
or other emotional overhead.

Here is that Statement of Principles, with names of signatories:

 http://www.newamericancentury.org/statementofprinciples.htm

Once again, this message is neither pro nor con the indicated documents;
it merely points them out.

John S. Quarterman <jsq () quarterman com>

------ End of Forwarded Message