Interesting People mailing list archives

Server-side spyware -- Redsheriff -- Alert!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 14:43:31 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:37:04 -0800 (PST)
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () pfir org, neumann () pfir org
Subject: Server-side spyware -- Redsheriff -- Alert!

Dave,

I haven't seen any mention here regarding the insidious spread of the
"RedSheriff" server-side spyware system.  This is now apparently in use by
major sites and ISPs to send user Web browsing activity information back to
a third party without the knowledge of the user.  This software reportedly
exists as a Java applet and is loaded to users by participating customers of
the tracking system.  It has seemingly been around for some time but is
only now really appearing on people's radar.

More info about this abomination from the company itself is at:
http://www.redsheriff.com.

A quick search on http://groups.google.com for "redsheriff" will yield
significant information and help with setting up firewall blocking
of this "service."  (I won't include in this message the long URLs that
result from such searches!)

The arrogance of the sort of people pushing these kinds of user
tracking/spying systems -- and the sites that see fit
to use them -- is most impressive.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () pfir org or lauren () vortex com or lauren () privacyforum org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
Co-Founder, PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, Fact Squad - http://www.factsquad.org
Co-Founder, URIICA - Union for Representative International Internet
                     Cooperation and Analysis - http://www.uriica.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
"Wired News" Commentaries -
        http://www.wired.com/news/storylist/0,2339,642,00.html
      & http://www.wired.com/news/storylist/0,2339,705,00.html

------ End of Forwarded Message