Interesting People mailing list archives

a reply to -- My editorial policy on the Iraq issue

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 10:28:10 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bill Marcy <wmarcy () stny rr com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:44:50 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] I M y editorial policy on the Iraq issue

This is not hate mail Dave, far from it, while you seem on the opposite
end of the spectrum from me, I respect your viewpoint.  Having been in
Iraq in the early 90's, and having been unfortunate enough to review
1000's of hours of torture tapes from the Iraqi prisons, watching babies
and children raped repeatedly in front of their parents, and when that
doesn't get the parent to talk, watching those children be dismembered
(but of course the parents are babbling anything at that point, anything
that they tormentors want to hear).  I for one support whole heartedly
this impending war in Iraq, if for no other reason than to get rid of
those still in use rape/torture chambers.  I still wake up at night with
the screams of the little boys and girls as they are being violated.

Add to that, Sept 11th, and I can not think of a  better justification
Dave, we have to start somewhere, Iraq is convenient only so far as it
will be a quick and decisive military victory, it will be measured in
days, not weeks or months or even years.

We can not allow another mass terrorist attack to happen again, and I
think much as in the tech sector, there will have to be a complete
paradigm shift in thinking for the American people.  No, I am not
willing to give up a single right, nor am I willing to abridge any of my
rights, even for a modicum of temporary security.  What to do?

A new Marshall Plan?  Maybe, As once we get to the root cause of the
terrorists hatred of us, it is 2 fold, envy for what we have, and of
course, our not following their religious teachings.

If we can eliminate the envy aspect of their hate, raise them up, while
all of us move forward, I am unsure if that would be enough to overcome
their religious intolerance.  Would a wealthy world, where no child is
left behind, no mans toil goes unrewarded negate the need to kill all
non-believers?   Or would it only cause to fund the people who wish to
do us harm?

Good luck Dave, I hope that your opposition to this war does not bring { why
don't people bother to read what I said rather than what they think I said
djf} to you, the screams of babies in the night.  That we could have stopped
that and didn't would make our loss on Sept 11th  pale in comparison,
and to be honest, any injury the terrorists are able to inflict on us
also.

All best regards,
Bill Marcy
ASAID (ret), NSA (ret)