Interesting People mailing list archives

I M y editorial policy on the Iraq issue

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 20:23:41 -0500

First let me state clearly I personally am not in favor of the current
action unless the UN supports it. If we intend to strike without the support
of the UN then our Congress, as the constitution mandates, should vote a
declaration of war (not the mushy resolution they voted). Then for better or
worse, our people, though their representatives, will have spoken.

I understand well the lessons of history and that the Iraq government
attacked its neighbor and would do it again if they had the where-with-all.

But a unilateral strike based on decisions that have not been clearly
presented to the public  sets a very dangerous precedent.

As to what I publish. I believe the press covers very well the position of
the administration. I try to supplement those views by alternative views in
the belief that informed citizens can make up their own mind.

I get a few "hate" mails for this and very few reasoned opinions that I can
publish (and I will when they are reasoned -- by the way I will not publish
pieces against the actions of the administration if they are , in my opinion
unreasoned).

Dave

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Bible, John 8:32
--

deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin Historical Review
of Pennsylvania 1759

"You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest
there is no such thing as a left or right.  There is only an up or down.  Up
to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with
order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their
sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for
security have embarked on this downward path." - Ronald Reagan

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore
Roosevelt (1918)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act." - George Orwell

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not
your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May
your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our
countrymen." - Samuel Adams, speech at the Philadelphia State House, August
1, 1776.