Interesting People mailing list archives

another view -- Dan Gillmor: Quattrone clique disgraced Silicon Valley

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 12:56:12 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dan Gillmor <dgillmor () sjmercury com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 07:01:42 -0800
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] another view -- Dan Gillmor: Quattrone clique disgraced
Silicon Valley

With mutual admiration for Jonathan Weber, a reply to his note:

I never said that engineers' only motive is to make life better. But I
vehemently disagreee that there's no difference between the crowd that
captured the valley in the late 90s and the people like Hewlett and Packard.

And I don't solely blame Quattrone and his acolytes. I said he personified
the excesses, and that the villains -- the people who may have poisoned
investors' trust for a generation -- are all the insiders who profited so
sleazily at the expense of others.

Indeed I got an indirect benefit from the bubble, a higher profile and
better pay. I wonder how that's comparable to the sleazy insider dealings
we're discussing.

But I'll plead a distinct "not guilty" to pumping up the bubble. As far as I
can tell in a quick archive search, the first column I wrote questioning the
market was early 1997 -- probably too early -- and I stuck with that theme
until the end.

Dan

But how could Frank Quattrone and his friends have disgraced Silicon
Valley? They *are* Silicon Valley. Dan seems to have adopted the
common technologists conceit that there are two Silicon Valleys, one
composed of greedy capitalists who are only out for a buck and the
other composed of altruistic engineers who only want to change the
world for the better. In truth, such a split has never existed.
Individuals may have a wide range of motivations, but certainly the
collective culture of what we know as Silicon Valley has always been
informed as much by money and capitalism as by technological
excellence. The tech bubble did not happen because a few bad apples
"disgraced" everyone else. It happened because capitalism as
currently structured in this country (and enthusiastically supported
by Silicon Valley) combined with technological optimism (also heavily
promoted by Silicon Valley) created a landscape where it could
happen. There are very few innocents in this story - I bet even Dan
enjoyed a hefty pay hike when the bubble was in full swing - and
while it's satisfying to blame Quattrone and his clique, it's also
disingenuous. Given the chance, I'm sure the overwhelming majority of
Silicon Valleyites would have acted no differently then did the
friends of Frank.

------ End of Forwarded Message

------ End of Forwarded Message