Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Initiative - A Broadband Vision for California

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:07:42 -0400

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:13:29 +0100
From: David Prior <david () priorintelligence com>

Dave:

For IP if relevant:

As someone who has been talking about 'broadband' starting at 10Mbps, with 'real broadband' existing at 100Mbps+ (a view supported by Bob Metcalfe amongst others), for at least three years, I find this report both amusing and exciting. The jury is out as to exactly which emotion is winning....

One tiny consideration, which appears to be lacking from the report, is that this should not be a 'broadband vision' for California, or even the US, alone. From direct field experience, in locations with existing broadband services (viz. Singapore, S. Korea), services within the scope of the infrastructure are fantastic - try the Singapore library education service - but come to a crashing halt when accessed from an external location. Similarly, the applied load from attempts at massive external access illustrate the degradation that occurs in this 'island' approach. To borrow from the then CEO of Global Crossing: the New Jersey turnpike meets a dirt track.

It remains, therefore, to be seen if implementing this vision provides the benefits stated if it's links to the world outside California (and, yes, there actually is one.... :)) progress under normal circumstances. Issues of capacity inversion, provisioning, and service oriented mediation come to the fore amongst others. One thing this may do, however, is finally force the creation of a true wholesale market, separating connectivity from service provision.

Nice to see four years worth of thought coming to fruition. It's just a shame that more attention wasn't paid to this earlier....

Useful Links to Research Considerations for 1Gbps Access:
- Swinburne University, CAIA - Inverted Capacity Experiment: http://caia.swin.edu.au/ice/ - University of Melbourne, Ultra-Broadband Networking: http://www.ee.mu.oz.au/research/cubin/aboutcubin.html - And anything at CANARIE's pages related to LightPath/CEN Services: http://www.canarie.ca/canet4/index.html

Have fun!

David.

David Prior
Prior Intelligence - http://www.priorintelligence.com

Telephone: +44 (0)7811 359792
Email: david () priorintelligence com / dprior () consultant com

Search for prior art on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=+Tarifica+OR+%22Phillips+Group%22+%22David+Prior+%22