Interesting People mailing list archives

Hobbyist Wins a Patent for PC's [Hardware design to protect against viruses]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:54:47 -0400

This is a pile of /////

*******************************
New York Times
June 16, 2003
Hobbyist Wins a Patent for PC's
By SABRA CHARTRAND

LIKE many people, Claude M. Policard has a day job that is strikingly different from his hobbies. He works for a banking service company, where he is a technician helping to maintain check-processing computers. But he devotes his spare time to music playing piano and synthesizer, acting as a disc jockey at parties and building a digital archive of music on his personal computer.

A few years ago, his work and his hobby converged in a moment of casual thought. His company had been hit by a nasty computer virus, and Mr. Policard remembers feeling glad he did not have to worry about virus-infested e-mail contaminating his home computer.

"I had two computers at home," Mr. Policard, who is 65 and lives in Newark, Del., remembered last week. "My sister used one, and I used one. My personal computer I used only for my music, so it will never be attacked by a virus.

"Right then it came to my mind," he continued. "I thought, so why don't I combine the two computers together, but keep them in one case?"

Mr. Policard, who was born in Jacmel, Haiti, and grew up in Port-au-Prince, won a patent last week for a two-in-one desktop computer with its own internal barrier to Internet-transmitted viruses.

One hazard of Internet access is the constant vulnerability to viruses that can infect a computer through e-mail. Some viruses are malicious enough to corrupt everything on a hard drive and wipe out operating systems. For many, the first line of defense against viruses is the refusal to open unexpected or unknown e-mail attachments. But even that strategy is not foolproof.

So Mr. Policard created a personal computer that runs with two independent operating systems, two hard drives and two memory banks. The separate systems isolate personal computing files from Internet data. A user installs software programs and creates word-processing or spreadsheet files on one hard drive, but gains access to Internet downloads and e-mail on the second.

From the outside, the computer looks like a conventional desktop model. It has one keyboard, one monitor and one mouse. But when it is turned on, the computer automatically starts up two separate systems. A toggle function allows a user to move between the master computing system and the Internet computer system.

Mr. Policard came to the United States in 1970 after earning a civil engineering degree at the University of Haiti. Because his real interest was electronics, he also took a correspondence course in computers to learn I.B.M. keypunch and basic programming. Once he moved to New York, he began a career as a computer technician.

In his patent, Mr. Policard describes his invention as having the "advantages of two systems without having two desktop computers." His computer has "a case, power supply, motherboard, disk drive, disk drive interface, monitor, keyboard and can additionally include mouse, printer and CD-ROM-like devices."

While both internal computing systems share the hardware, the Internet computer is in contact only with "components that cannot be affected by malicious software."

"Let's call it a computer with a virus-trap inside," Mr. Policard wrote in an early draft of promotional material for his invention. The Internet computer system can have conventional antivirus software to detect known viruses. But because new viruses emerge all the time, Mr. Policard's system is designed to act as a trap for those viruses the computer cannot identify.

"The big advantage of the patent is that any new virus will not pass into the main computer system," Mr. Policard said last week.

His patent says "toggling between the two systems can be accomplished by a switch which can be incorporated into the PC case, or by a third microprocessor using some keyboard key sequencing to switch between the systems."

The third microprocessor could also "monitor the state of both operating systems."

"If one crashed because of an application software bug or a computer virus, it would not affect the other, because the other system's basic instruction set and stack would still be intact," he wrote.

Even though the computer runs on separate systems, its users are able to transfer data between the master computer and the Internet computer, Mr. Policard said.

He is not the first inventor with the idea that one computer should have dual systems. But previous patents cover single systems designed to duplicate data and processing functions, creating backups so that nothing is lost in the event of either a system or power failure. Mr. Policard cites these earlier patents, which were awarded before the Internet became a direct pipeline into personal computers for e-mail containing viruses.

Mr. Policard said he wanted to sell or license his invention.

"I talked to one computer company, but they told me they won't look at my idea until I have the patent," he said. Now he has patent No. 6,578,140.