Interesting People mailing list archives

a review of Book Expo America 2003

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:18:07 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Baratunde R Thurston
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:53:55 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: a review of Book Expo America 2003

Hi Dave,

(note: if you decide to post this, please remove my email address)

I've written up a review of my week in LA which focuses largely on Book
Expo. As you or your readers may have heard, there was quite a verbal tussle
at one of the panels between Al Franken and Bill O'Reilly. The piece is too
long to post here, but I can share two excerpts. People who want to read the
full version can go to www.baratunde.com and see the MUST READ box or browse
directly to http://baratunde.com/newsphlash/newsphlash-BEA-2003.html

My review provides an overview of several panel discussions as well as a
recommended reading list based on forthcoming Fall titles.

Excerpt 1:
I've been telling a joke for a while which I'm right proud of. A recent poll
found that two-thirds of Americans think George W. Bush is doing a great job
running the country. The other one-third can read. This is the joke that got
Krugman and Michael Moore and Molly Ivins laughing. BEA proved the joke to
be true. Literate people don't like George W. Bush

Excerpt 2:
"I feel that ideology is harmful to you. I don't feel that people pushing
political agendas and philosophies does you any good at all. I think that
you should arrive at your own conclusions based on facts and analysis. I'm
not like Rush Limbaugh, who wants to convert you to his way of thinking, and
if you don', feel the way that he does, then he'll denigrate you or put you
in a category. I don't do that. I basically go out there, and I'm a problem
solver. I say, "Here's the problem, here's the situation, here's how I would
deal with it, here's how they are dealing with it. Are they looking out for
you or not?" -- Bill O'Reilly

\baratunde rafiq thurston
 comedian & writer
 www.baratunde.com (NEW WEBSITE)