Interesting People mailing list archives

Google's Brave Net Web

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:09:18 -0400

Subject: Google's Brave Net Web
To: dave () farber net

I thought you might be interested to share what appears to be Google's newest attempts to shape the World Wide Web to be more to its liking. My company received the following from Google regarding a client's website for which we had purchased Google AdWords:

Action taken: Suspended - Pending Revision
Issue(s): Pop-Up
~~~~~~~~~

---------------------
Please read below for definitions of the issues we found:

Pop-Up: Our Editorial Guidelines state that we do not allow links that
generate pop-ups when users enter or leave your site. We consider a
pop-up to be any window, regardless of size or content, that opens in
addition to the original window. Our experience is that pop-ups
decrease the efficiency of the information seeking process and
discourage users from clicking on ads. Once you remove the pop-up from
your site, please save your ad to resubmit it for review.

[full text at end of message]

The reason we purchased AdWords in the first place was because the site had been banned from the Google index for what we believe were Google Secret Policy "Hidden Text" violations, though you can never be sure since they won't tell you.

(For the record: the popup in question is a control panel for music that plays while you browse this site. We chose a popup so that the music controls would always be available for the user, and also to make it real easy to get rid of the music: just close the popup. We also made sure, by using a 1 pixel high "hidden" frame to pop the music window, that the music would not restart or reload as you browsed.)

Now, I'm sure I hate annoying popup windows as much as anyone, but I think Google is seriously overstepping its place here. First of all, it is most definitely possible to use popups in such a way as to improve and increase the usability of a website. I point to the old Netflix site, where instead of being forced off your page of search results each time you added a movie to your rental queue, a popup instead appeared, informing you of of the action, while leaving your search result page where it was so you could easily add multiple movies. Alas, this functionality is gone now, as Netflix got rid of its highly useful popup windows. (I wonder if Google had anything to do with that?)

Second of all, by Google trying to socially engineer the Web, Google becomes much less of a useful, *objective* tool, and users suffer when they cannot find a website they are looking for. Let the user decide whether a site is worthwhile, despite the popups. (Or let the smart user employ a smart browser like Mozilla and its Netscape derivative or similar tool and block the popups, if they so choose). At the very least, keep the site available, but flag it (even though this would still lead to harassment of perfectly useful popups, like those of the Netflix of yore).

There is something seriously wrong with the Google index if I search for the name of a specific company, like that of our client, and I get pages of links that mention the company, but I do not get the one link I was probably looking for, namely the website of the company itself.

When our client's site was initially banned, I wrote the attached essay. Feel free to use it if you think it is appropriate.

Finally, I can't help but notice that your home page (which I found through a quick "google") automatically plays sound when you load it (my wife couldn't help but notice it either as your WHYY interview suddenly issued forth from the computer speakers, waking her up :-) -- I wonder how long before the Google Web Police crack down on *your* site?

--
Karl Wagenfuehr       ,        "Weisst du, wieviel Sternlein stehen an dem