Interesting People mailing list archives

On TechnologyReview.com: Can E-Mail Be Saved? (06.20.2003)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:25:18 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Technology Review <newsletter.reply () technologyreview com>

Dialogue: Can E-Mail Be Saved?

In round 2 of their online dialogue on the scourge of spam, ISP maven Barry
Shein and e-mail standards pioneer Dave Crocker grapple with whether the
cure may be as bad as the disease. The onslaught of spam, says Shein, has
made us "desperate enough to begin considering draconian responses analogous
to boarding up all the windows in our home just to feel safe.... We need to
go after the spammers themselves and stop cowering in the dark behind
boarded-up windows." Crocker cautions against rash measures: "In the process
of making email safe from spammers, we are in danger of making email
content-free," writes Crocker. "Perhaps we should slow down a bit, and try
to understand the problem, before we act so hastily."

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/dialog0703.asp