Interesting People mailing list archives

more on When will I ever learn

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:28:16 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Rich Wiggins <wiggins () msu edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:49:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] When will I ever learn

Dave,

I feel your pain.  When my trusty reliable Thinkpad running Windows
2000 failed in a similar way, I tried to capture the error code
by using a digital camera, attempting to snap a shot at the precise
moment of the failure.  But it flashed by too fast to catch --
digital camera latency is too great.

So I whipped out my DV camcorder and zoomed in on the corner of
the screen where the failure code flashes.  While viewing the
tape on a TV, I was able to freeze frame on the error code,
which Google searches helped me diagnose.

But you're right, you should be able to reformat everything and
get back to working order without Redmond taking a DNA sample.

/rich

------ End of Forwarded Message