Interesting People mailing list archives

personal announcement re the future of DJF

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:23:52 -0400

As you know, I have spent the last year on sabbatical from Penn at Carnegie
Mellon. There, I have been working with faculty and staff of the School of
Computer Science and the Heinz School of Public Policy and others.  In
addition, I've had the chance to work with researchers at both The RAND
Corporation as an Associate and with Intel's Pittsburgh Research Lab.

I found that the uniquely collaborative and interdisciplinary atmosphere of
Carnegie Mellon ideally suited my research interests in the intersection of
information technology and public policy.  I also found that the work being
done at Intel Research Pittsburgh and at RAND opened exciting new research
questions and policy challenges that I am eager to be a part of.

So, GG and I have decided to accept the offer from Carnegie Mellon to join
the faculty as Full Professor of Computer Science and Public Policy in the
School of Computer Science, with secondary appointments in the Heinz School
and the Engineering and Public Policy faculty.

I plan to retire from Upenn at the end of August and start at Carnegie
Mellon  in September,  Penn is special, and unique among the Ivies in its
breadth and depth of scholarly resources and I intend to continue my many
collaborative relationships with colleagues at Penn.

GG and I will get a new apartment in Pittsburgh and keep our country home in
eastern Pennsylvania.  This way we will have a base for NYC and DC
activities and, of course, for visiting our grandson Nate in Philadelphia!

Dave