Interesting People mailing list archives

10 years since The Net and Netizens first posted

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 04:24:23 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:39:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Ronda Hauben <ronda () panix com>
Subject: 10 years since The Net and Netizens first posted

Pier Luigi Capucci, Noema director, and his students have published a
special
issue of their online journal Noema in celebration of the 10 year
anniversary
of the posting on Usenet of The Net and Netizens by Michael Hauben

http://www.noemalab.com/sections/specials/netizen/main.html

"This is a draft, originally in text format, which would have led to the
book Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet,
by Michael and Ronda Hauben, published by the IEEE Computer Society in 1997
and which also appears in an online edition. "Netizen" is today a common
and widespread term. We can find it on many occasions, debates, articles,
essays, art exhibits, political acts (like the Netizens Protection Act
introduced by the U.S. Congress against online spamming in 1997)...
search engines can show about 100.000 instances of this word. The "Netizen"
concept involves a new and extended vision of our society, which we are
hardly shaping and redefining with many social, ethical, political,
cultural issues to be aware of.

                    Michael Hauben, who coined the term "Netizen" and
gave it a meaning, posting his research on Usenet just ten years ago,
died suddenly in New York on June 27, 2001, at 28. His research, starting
from the origins and development of Usenet to the diffusion of the Net
(he participated in online communities since the early 1980s), is
fundamental for understanding the current information society, from sharing
information to online communication and participation, from the rising and
diffusion of the Internet communities to the net policies. He is one of
the pioneers who can envisage the future and help us to find the way.
With Michael we believe in a vision of the online world as a powerful and
positive place.

                  We greatly thank Ronda Hauben for the permission to
republish this draft and the help in this Noema issue on the Netizen
idea.

                                 Pier Luigi Capucci, Noema director"

It is exciting to see this special issue of Noema in honor of Michael
and netizens.

                                Ronda

------ End of Forwarded Message