Interesting People mailing list archives

Unintentionally funny quote in MSNBC story on terror futures

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:21:38 -0400

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:28:23 -0700
To: farber () dsl cis upenn edu
From: Denise Caruso <caruso () hybridvigor org>
Subject: Unintentionally funny quote in MSNBC story on terror futures

Dave,

Yet more on the terror futures market, http://www.msnbc.com/news/945269.asp?0cv=TB10

... only notable b/c of this amazing bit about halfway through the story:

"Among other things, the senators say they're concerned that terrorists could place bets on the site - and then profit from the accurate prediction of attacks that they carry out. DARPA had promised investors that it wouldn't be able to identify individuals who signed up for a trading account. "But Polk said that - if terrorists were to bet on their own attack - that would have created exactly the kind of warning signal the Policy Analysis Market is designed to highlight. "'They're going to move some prices,' he said. "And they're going to move those prices to levels way above where the market has been striking them. So people are going to say, 'Why is that price up?'"

Oh yeah. That worked really well with the dot.com boom, didn't it? _Everyone_ I know was asking that question. Hands on hips. Heads cocked. "My goodness. Why IS that price up? That makes me very suspicious! I certainly won't trade on that price until I investigate and find out what is behind this!" Uh huh. Yessir.

Denise