Interesting People mailing list archives

more on the NYC peace march -- an observation(s)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:17:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Thomas C. Williams" <twilliams () worldcontact com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:07:52 -0500
To: dave () farber net

Dave:
My wife and I were in the city for the weekend with out of town guests and
knew
nothing about this demonstration in advance... Saturday afternoon in Times
Square we witnessed huge numbers of demonstrators arriving from the main
protest near the UN.... they proceeded to attack and destroy the Starbucks
Coffee store across the street, tearing down the large main illuminated
sign,
and aggressively attacking the foot police who are normally on duty in Times
Square. We witnessed through the restaurant windows police being attacked by
protesters, tourists being hassled and sincerely frightened, and families
coming in to the restaurant for safety. It was not pleasant. Extra police
arrived within minutes, ambulances soon after, and within 30 minutes order
was
completely re-established. There was NO sympathy for the protesters in the
restaurant among the crying children and shocked tourists. People on the
street
were thanking the police, and asking where to walk to avoid additional
protesters. Conclude what you will, I am simply reporting the facts from
there.

As a side note, the Metro North conductor on our ride home today had nothing
polite to say about the behavior of these folks over the weekend...
apparently
there was a substantial disregard for safety rules on the trains, and an
unwillingness to pay for fares. He was not happy about any of it.

------ End of Forwarded Message