Interesting People mailing list archives

TurboTax Application writes to your hard disk boot sector!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:54:22 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 12:43:52 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: TurboTax Application writes to your hard disk boot sector!

(From an operational, security, and common-sense perspective, I can't
believe that Intuit is doing this....even though I don't run Windows, I
won't use their products again....rf)

TurboTax: Sector 33 Naughtiness

We Uncover Low-Level Monkey Business

Finally, before we put a wrap on our review, we decided to investigate
readers' allegations that SafeCast was performing risky, low-level
operations on users' hard disks. (Such operations wouldn't have been picked
up by InCtrl5's before-and-after inventories of the drive.) While most of
the reports we received turned out to be bogus, we were able to verify that
SafeCast manipulates at least one area of the disk that's "outside" the file
system.

------ End of Forwarded Message