Interesting People mailing list archives

NATO split over Iraq: Congressman tells the BBC why he believes the french can only surrender

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:32:36 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Sam Smith <S () mSmith net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 00:20:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: NATO split over Iraq: Congressman tells the BBC why he believes the
french can only surrender

 http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/radio4/today/listen/audiosearch.pl?ProgID=1044
956954
 is the Real Audio clip of an interview with US congressman
 Pete King on a BBC radio programme a few days ago. Here are
 a few extracts. The interesting comments from the
 congressman start about 3 minutes in. The above clip also
 includes the French Ambassador to NATO's response. Rough
 transcript by Aimee.

PK   (extracts):
        We may have to have a new alliance of countries that
        are willing to do what has to be done. And again
        when you have 18 countries going one way, and 3
        countries going yet another, three of whom are
        somewhat in-- let's face it, somewhat
        inconsequential. I mean, France is no longer a world
        power, Belgium never was, Germany started two wars
        in the 20th century. So I mean these aren't-- they
        -- to me, uh, when I see someone like Vaclav Havel ,
        when I see Poland, these emerging democracies
        standing up and doing what has to be done, that to
        me is really the future of Europe.

        For instance, if you just look at the eight
        countries that signed the statement supporting the
        United States, their population far exceeds that of
        France and Germany. You have Britain and you have
        Italy and you have Spain and Portugal, and all of
        the emerging democracies. I mean France doesn't even
        have an aircraft carrier that works, so I really
        don't see that France is very much of a power.

        Well, are we looking at French culture? I mean,
        exactly what are we looking for with the French? I
        mean, I assume the French would be capable of
        going with us into Iraq so they can be there to
        instruct the Iraqis in how to surrender, and they
        can send some troops into the Ivory Coast. But,
        um, I really am not that impressed by the French
        to be honest with you.

Interviewer:
        Well, that was the Republican Congressman Pete King,
        and uh we played that tape, um, at the risk of, uh,
        causing a diplomatic incident to the French
        Ambassador to NATO Benoit D'Aboville to whom I spoke
        this morning...

------ End of Forwarded Message