Interesting People mailing list archives

Battle over the Broadcast Flag (a Cato Institute debate)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:27:58 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mike Godwin <mnemonic () well com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:22:55 -0500
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Battle over the Broadcast Flag (a Cato Institute debate)

Dave,

As a participant in this debate, I think it went far towards
explaining to technology companies and to the general public why the
debate over the Broadcast Flag mandate now being considered by the
FCC is one that matters and one that everyone should be concerned
about.

Among other things, it makes clear that the Flag mandate is only the
first brick in a planned edifice of copy-controlling regulation of
hardware and software that makes the DMCA look positively timid in
comparison.

The debate is available as a Real Video file that can be reached from
Cato's website at http://www.cato.org/events/030205pf.html .

You may also be interested in the fact that I demo'd how a Titanium
Powerbook can be used as a TV capture-and-playback device.

--Mike

--
"I speak the password primeval .... I give the sign of democracy ...."
            --Walt Whitman