Interesting People mailing list archives

Julian Bigelow, 89, Computer Pioneer, Is Dead

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 14:21:28 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ted Dolotta" <Ted () Dolotta ORG>

He was truly there at the creation ...

In 1955, he helped me write my very first computer
program.  I no longer remember what the program did,
but I do remember the excitement when I got it debugged
and running on the IAS machine in that squat building
on Olden Lane across from the Institute.

Ted Dolotta

P.S.  The print version of this has a great picture of
    Julian with Herman Goldstine, J. Robert Oppenheimer,
    and John van Neumann in front of the IAS machine.

February 22, 2003

Julian Bigelow, 89, Computer Pioneer, Is Dead

By JOHN MARKOFF

Julian Bigelow, a mathematician and electrical engineer who was a
pioneer in the fields of cybernetics and computing, died on Monday in
Princeton, N.J., where he lived. He was 89.

In 1946, when John von Neumann set out to design and build a stored-
program computer at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, he
contacted the mathematician Norbert Weiner for a recommendation for a
chief engineer. Dr. Weiner suggested Mr. Bigelow, with whom he had
collaborated during World War II on the creation of fire-control
systems for weapons.

The resulting computer, which was known as the IAS and which was
assembled beginning in June 1946, was one of a handful of computers
like ENIAC, EDVAC, Whirlwind, EDSAC and Univac 1 whose construction
brought the dawn of the information age.

It was the IAS machine, however, whose basic design became the
template for the modern computers that are now ubiquitous worldwide.

Fifteen clones of the original IAS machine were built. The copies had
names like Johniac and Maniac and they appeared all over the world,
including Russia and Israel.

"A tidal wave of computation power was about to break and inundate
everything in science and much elsewhere, and things would never be
the same afterwards," Mr. Bigelow wrote in a short history of the
project published in 1980.

Before beginning his career as one of the world's first computer
architects, Mr. Bigelow was the co-author of a seminal paper with Dr.
Weiner and Arturo Rosenblueth, titled "Behavior, Purpose and
Teleology," which advanced a set of unifying principles about behavior
that would come to serve as the foundation for the field of
cybernetics, which studies the way mechanical, biological and
electronic systems communicate and interact.

Mr. Bigelow had the practical engineering insight that throughout his
career played a crucial role in linking the work of leading
theoreticians like Dr. Weiner and Dr. von Neumann to the real world.

"In a way, Julian was the missing link," said George Dyson, a
researcher who is now a visiting scholar at the Institute of Advance
Study.

The article made a strong impression on a small group of intellectuals
and scientists, and it led to the formation of a small group called
the Teleological Society. That group in turn led to a group of
scientific meetings called the Macy Conferences, in which Mr. Bigelow
participated.

Sponsored by the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation, the conferences brought
together an influential group of scientists and thinkers, including
Dr. Wiener, Warren McCulloch, Gregory Bateson, Margaret Mead and Dr.
von Neumann. The conferences were later known as the cybernetics
conferences and ultimately laid the groundwork for much of the future
research in a diverse range of sciences from biological physics to
computer science.

When Mr. Bigelow arrived at the Institute for Advanced Study in 1946,
the idea of Dr. von Neumann's computer was meeting stiff resistance
from the institute's pure theoreticians.

"The folks at the institute, especially some of the mathematicians,
were outraged that people who got their hands dirty doing things like
computing would invade their sanctuary," recalled Willis Ware, an
electrical engineer who was hired to work with Mr. Bigelow on the
construction of the IAS computer.

Tensions eased later, after the theoreticians discovered that the new
computer crowd had useful skills.

"They found out we knew how to build and repair hi-fi equipment, and
we became more popular," he said.

In a world that was known for brilliant intellects and large egos, Mr.
Bigelow was remembered as someone who was remarkably unassuming and
yet was tremendously creative and resourceful.

"He was thrilled by the engineering challenges that we faced," said
Hewitt Crane, a computer designer who was hired away from I.B.M. to
work on the IAS computer in the early 1950's. "He was always like a
little kid with a smile on his face."

He recalled a parade down one of the main streets of Princeton that
accompanied Mr. Bigelow's house when he moved it from one side of town
to another. It was a struggle to persuade the city government to
permit him to move it, but he cut it into several pieces and measured
the house precisely to ensure that it would fit on the streets.

Mr. Bigelow studied electrical engineering and mathematics at M.I.T.
and received a master's degree.

He was an avid airplane pilot and flew regularly into his 80's, when
he renovated a plane as a hobby.

He is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; two sons, Nicholas, of
Rochester, and Marc, of Wolcott, Vt.; and a daughter, Alice, of
London.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

------ End of Forwarded Message