Interesting People mailing list archives

Just a reminder when you use Ebay!!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:07:53 -0500

"When someone uses our site and clicks on the 'I Agree' button, it is as if
he agrees to let us submit all of his data to the legal authorities. Which
means that if you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to do is send
us a fax with a request for information, and ask about the person behind the
seller's identity number, and we will provide you with his name, address,
sales history and other details - all without having to produce a court
order. We want law enforcement people to spend time on our site."

-- Joseph Sullivan, eBay's director of "law enforcement and compliance,"
explains the fine print behind the company's privacy policy.