Interesting People mailing list archives

Movie Advertising Lawsuit

From: David Farber <farber () tmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:33:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David Geerinck <geerinck () att net>
To: dave () farber net
Subject: For IP: Movie Advertising Lawsuit
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:30:36 -0500

For IP if like:
---------------------------------------

Dave,

I just ran across this news report of a class action lawsuit filed against the Loews chain of movie theatres because the theatres play ads prior to starting the movie. Now, I am no fan of movie ads (although I admit a certain affinity for the campy concession stand "teasers"), however I think that this points to a larger issue: should frivolous lawsuits be classified as "domestic terrorism" and their lawyers declared "enemy combatants"?

Inquiring minds...

David Geerinck
geerinck () att net

Exhibitors Draw Fire on Pre-Movie Blurbs
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030220/film_nm/film_movieads_dc_1

By Carl DiOrio
HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - High school teacher Miriam Fisch wants those four minutes of her life back -- and she thinks Loews Cineplex ought to pay for their alleged theft.

In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie.

<snip>

The suit seeks "lost time" damages of up to $75 per plaintiff covered under a class action, as well as an injunction to force Loews to stipulate separately when its onscreen ads will run and when movies will play.

<snip>

Litowitz and another Chicago attorney, Mark Weinberg, operate a Web site called NoMovieAds.com. He described Fisch as a "friend" who was troubled by the intrusion of ads prior to the showing of Miramax's "The Quiet American" at a Loews in suburban Chicago.

<snip>
-- Dave