Interesting People mailing list archives

Summary of MIT/VLAB UWB

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 15:35:46 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Mark Laubach.  DLH]

From: Mark Laubach <mark () broadbandphysics com>
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: Summary of MIT/VLAB UWB
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 14:26:24 -0800

Hi Dewayne,

I attended the MIT/Stanford Venture Lab event last night with their
panel on UWB.  <http://http://www.vlab.org/204.cfm?eventID=29>

Personally, I'm bullish on the technology.  However, as we all know it
takes a lot more than just a physical layer technology to make a complete
system that works as expected.

I am disappointed that the panel was more focused on the physical
layer technology, rather than establishing comfort that the higher
layer MAC and management of the system is getting the job done and
on time for market and regulatory needs.  A bad MAC can make a good
PHY look bad as well as vice versa.

Generally, most of the answers to audience questions fell into one of
several buckets:

1. The physical layer technology is great
2. It'll be handled by a higher layer
3. The IEEE 802 standards group will solve the problem
4. The FCC supports the current approach of UWB

I won't go into the details on all the Q&A but the answers to the
following questions fell into one of the above answer buckets:

+ Physical layer security?
+ How are all the different implementations going to inter-operate?
+ 150 clients in the same room, who gets to own the data projector?
+ How to stay friendly to other RF services?
+ What's happening with multi-band?
+ Multi-hop?
+ Can't you do this with QAM?

and others which I can't seem to recall at this time. Maybe someone else
can give a more detailed Q&A summary as well as the panelists presentations.
Also, when the audience was polled about this being real in [2-3] years
or [4-5] years, most of the hands went up on the longer time period.

Where I am disappointed is that to me, the higher layer infrastructure
doesn't exist yet. I have some specific questions/observations:

1. Given the peer-to-peer 10 meter radius of UWB, how is quality of service
really going to be guaranteed?  We all know that QoS in a loose
peer-to-peer is nearly impossible to manage for 100% guaranteed service
required for the timing constraints of SD and HDTV video.

2. Given that this is being aimed at the in-home "cable replacement"
space, how are adjoining MDU's/apartments going to negotiate resources
with adjoining RF MAC domains?  Contention between close proximity
living spaces will be inevitable, especially in AsiaPac and Europe.

3. A 30 feet radius won't cover larger homes. How is UWB going to work
in all rooms of a house and all floors?

4. How exactly is the standards work going to future proof the system
such that UWB can successfully overcome future regulation changes and
the reality of "opinions" of other services in the spectrum?

5. If the MAC and MAC management needs to accommodate the above
functionality, how is the system going to be put together to be
really easy to use?

6. It seems likely that the current single band UWB will get to market.
Will this cause RF interfere with what may happen in the future if the
system has to go into some form of multi-band?

If it were an ideal RF world, the current approach of single-band UWB
may be great and I'd love to see it work.  The reality however, is
that there are some significant issues that need to be solved *above*
the physical layer that will likely require change to the single-band
approach.  The next question is will the multi-band approach also meet
all the requirements to make this technology successful?  We'll have
to wait an see what the IEEE working group does with some "30+ proposals".

My "where's the beef?" award goes to:

The inference was directly made that switching from 400Mbps Firewire
to UWB will make iPOD downloads go faster.  This reminds me of one of
the current IBM TV commercials where the executives are being
presented with "server uptime pixie dust".  "Just sprinkle and it will
bring a server back up, sprinkle more and the server will repair itself"
Just how is UWB in a shared RF space going to make the hard drive in
the iPOD spin faster?

In summary, let's get beyond the reply pitch and just assume that
the UWB physical layer technology works as touted.  What about the
rest of the system?

Mark out.

--
Mark Laubach, CEO                         408-973-7333 voice direct
Broadband Physics, Inc.                   408-973-7340 fax

Archives at: <http://Wireless.Com/Dewayne-Net>
Weblog at: <http://weblog.warpspeed.com>

------ End of Forwarded Message