Interesting People mailing list archives

NSF Cyberinfrastructure Report is now available

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:20:07 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dan Atkins <atkins () umich edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:33:57 -0400
To: i-p () umich edu
Cc: farber () linc cis upenn edu
Subject: IP:  NSF Cyberinfrastructure Report is now available

This report may well be basis for some significant new NSF program
over the coming years:

http://www.cise.nsf.gov/evnt/reports/atkins_annc_020303.htm

On behalf of the National Science Foundation, I want to extend a strong
expression of gratitude to the Advisory Committee for Cyberinfrastructure
and especially to their chairman, Prof. Dan Atkins, for the excellent job
they have done in highlighting the importance of cyberinfrastructure to all
of science and engineering research and education. The extensive efforts
they have made in bringing together in one place the ideas and visions of
all segments of the S&E community will be extremely useful to NSF as we move
forward to exploit the opportunities they have identified.
The path forward that this report envisions - extensive cyberinfrastructure
to enable all levels of S&E research and education, geographic and
institution independence, cross-discipline sharing of data and insights, and
technical depth in all dimensions, not just processor speed - truly has the
potential to revolutionize all fields of research and education. As they
point out, however, this path must be opened up by increased fundamental
research in computer science and engineering. Reaching the goal they set
will require the good will and efforts of all areas of S&E, cooperation with
other agencies and foreign institutions, and a level of collaboration beyond
that seen today.
By highlighting these aspects of what may eventually be seen as more of a
revolution in the behavior of scientists and engineers than in the
technology they use underscores the wisdom the Committee has brought to
their task. While revolutions such as they outline are rarely the product of
a single event, the one outlined in the Committee's report serves a great
purpose by focusing our attention on the opportunities before us.

NSF has been formulating specific plans for cyberinfrastructure for
sometime. We will be announcing specific actions in the coming months.
Peter A. Freeman
NSF Assistant Director for CISE