Interesting People mailing list archives

Cigarettes --for a photo of your driver license

From: Dave Farber <dave () FARBER NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:56:32 -0500

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:47:39 -0500
From: Devin Lee Drew <ddrew () andrew cmu edu>
Subject: Cigarettes --for a photo of your driver license
To: dave () farber net

Hi Dave,

The Salem cigarette brand is marketing itself by paying attractive young men and women to give away its product. To keep these employees from making mass donations to their friends they've been given digital cameras. They're asked to photograph a unique driver license for every 3 packs given away. I witnessed this at my first visit to Dee's Cafe on the south side. It's a favorite hangout of Pittsburgh bike messengers, hep cats, artists, and smokers. About 30 packs were given away in the hour that I was there.

http://base.mism.cmu.edu/static/gallery/SalemPushers.1.html

Does any IPer know what claims RJ Reynolds may have with respect to the information in those photos? The attractive woman told me that they were used only to keep her honest.

to share if you wish,

Devin

--
Devin Lee Drew  .           .   http://pobox.com/~dld