Interesting People mailing list archives

and VoIP -- and Telecommunications in general

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:11:52 -0500

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:01:16 -0500
From: Bob Frankston <rmfxixB1 () bobf frankston com>
Subject: RE: [misc] How IP Telephony Works -- and Circuit Switching vs Packet
 Switching and VoIP -- and Telecommunications in general
To: "'John F. McMullen'" <observer () westnet com>
Cc: 'Dave Farber' <farber () cis upenn edu>, 'Declan McCullagh' <declan () well com>

Focusing on cost misses the real point about IP telephony -- it's all about
defining telephony at the edge and not a service provided by others. Even
Vonage currently acts more like a Telco by providing a closed service.

As long as a third part is involved in peer-to-peer IP telephony it is still
old-style telephony. The third party should only be involved when bridging
to and from the old PSTN. Skype plus bridging gets interesting.

It's no surprise that the discussion is framed in terms of old style
telephony but it confuses the issue. I write about this and related issues
in http://www.frankston.com/?name=tvv -- it's as much about morality as
technology.

Incidentally, my Verizon land lines went out yesterday but I was able to
redirect the calls to my Vonage line until they were repaired. For a while
DSL over the same wires continued to work! But I use a dual WAN (Xincom)
router so I have backup connectivity via cable modem. Of course I called
repair on my Vonage line. For now cell phones also act as a backup but the
very idea that we care about wired vs wireless is part of the legacy of
telephony as a service rather than just an application built on
connectivity.