Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Video of line at opening of Apple store in Tokyo

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:40:09 -0500

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:27:43 -0800 (PST)
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Video of line at opening of Apple store in Tokyo
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

See also:

http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11606

Ole J. Jacobsen
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

Apple Goes to Tokyo
01 December 2003 08:00 EST
Ole J. Jacobsen, roving reporter

Tokyo, November 30, 2003 - The Apple Store opened today in the Ginza shopping district in central Tokyo. Some say as many as 5,000 people braved the rain and waited patiently in line for a chance to see this 5-story flagship Apple Store.

Located in the heart of Ginza, just across the street from the main Ginza metro station, the building features a grey front with the white Apple logo and another Apple logo on the roof which rotates.

I arrived around noon, two hours after the official opening time, but quickly realized there was no way I would be able to get in that afternoon. The line of people stretched for several city blocks, carefully orchestrated by police and security guards. I took a few pictures which I would post except at the moment I am stuck using a dialup connection besides, Apple has already provided a nice set of pictures on <http://www.apple.com/retail/jp/ginza/gallery1.html>their site.

Putting an Apple Store in Ginza is an interesting move on Apple's part. The main electronics "town" is Akihabara, some 10 minutes away by train. There are already several "Apple" stores in Akihabara operated by the big department stores (Laox and Sofmap for example). Having the store in Ginza sends a message that the Macintosh is more about fashion, lifestyle and design, rather than pure electronic utility. I shudder to think what they had to pay for this particular prime piece of real estate, hopefully there will be sales to match the expenses.