Interesting People mailing list archives

FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:40:28 -0500

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:31:38 -0500
From: Hiawatha Bray <watha () monitortan com>
Subject: RE: [IP] FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers
To: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>, dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com

No offense taken...tee hee.

And your point is quite sound.  Merely possessing an almanac can't
reasonably be interpreted as evidence of hostile intent without generating
way too many false positives.  On the other hand, how common is it to see
someone strolling around near, say, the Brooklyn Bridge, with a camera, a
notepad AND an almanac?  The person snaps pictures, takes notes,
occasionally looks something up.  Might just be a tourist, of course.  But
wouldn't it be prudent to at least keep an eye on the fellow?  If he spends
a solid two hours hovering around the bridge, taking notes, that might be
God's way of telling you something.  It still falls short of probable cause,
but it might be worthwhile to note the license number of his car and pass it
on.  Might mean something.

That's the way I imagine this advisory being applied.  And if so, I have no
problem with it.

Hiawatha.