Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 12:49:26 -0500

Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:28:43 -0500
From: Gene Spafford <spaf () cerias purdue edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on FBI Issues Alert Against Almanac Carriers
To: dave () farber net

Gee, I wonder what would happen if someone with swarthy features and carrying an almanac were to try to go through a TSA checkpoint at an airport and refuse to remove his shoes? Probably be taken to Guantanamo without a second thought! This generation needs an Arlo Guthrie...."Alice's TSA."

Two stories:

1) On a recent trip, I was standing in line to go through the magnetometer. The TSA guy on the other side said, pointedly, "We recommend you take your shoes off." I replied "These have no metal in them -- they don't set off the alarm." He glared at me, waved me through, and even though the alarm didn't sound, he sent me to the line for the manual check. The line had several people in it, all with shoes, and all from the same guy's line. When it was my turn, the check found nothing, and the guy watched me struggle to get my shoes back on (I have arthritis in my hips, and shoes can be a challenge on occasion, which I explained to him). He apologized, sheepishly. As I was getting my bags off the conveyor, I noticed him talking to the person who I assumed was the shift supervisor. He and the guy at the magnetometer then changed places. I sort of hope that mostly the people who look like they had suspect hygiene were being sent over for the pat-down search thereafter, rather than people who have chosen to fly with shoes that don't set off the alarm. :-)

If nothing else, there seem to be some reasonable people inside who are applying a little pressure within the system to moderate extreme behavior.

2) I recently was speaking to someone associated with the TSA. I asked why they didn't understand the differences amongst identification, authentication, and authorization, with the repeated showing of an ID at the airport a classic example of lack of clue. I was told that some of the TSA procedures were not decided by security experts, but by others. No further information was forthcoming. I assume that some political appointees were involved, which is not terribly reassuring if true.

I have noted that at most airports, the people who are checking the IDs before you even get in line are the same people who use to screen your carry-on baggage with X-ray before TSA. I wonder if one of the reasons to force showing IDs at the airport was to keep jobs for some of these contractors, and thus soften the potential economic and political fall-out when TSA took over?