Interesting People mailing list archives

Its the same all over- the fat and contented will have to shape up and compete. People here should take note.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 05:30:44 -0500

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:53:38 -0500
From: "Adolph E. Ehbrecht" <aee () mags net>
Subject: Its the same all over- the fat and contented will have to shape up and
 compete. People here should take note.
To: dave () farber net

I have been telling my German friends for years that all this time off will have to go away. They all scoffed. Not anymore. Note Siemens moving software jobs to the East.

From     The Week in Germany from December 18, 2003
             The German Information Center

Bosch will ask its 103,000 German employees to work a 40-hour work week, up from 35, without extra compensation, said the group's chairman, Franz Fehrenbach. If workers reject the five-hour increase, the company could begin transferring jobs overseas in a bid to keep pace with low-wage competitors. "If we don't succeed, then it is likely that we will accelerate the move to setting up new plants outside of Germany — especially in the low-wage countries," Fehrenbach was quoted as saying by the Financial Times.
Keeping an edge, losing jobs?
A longer work week is expected to help Bosch cut its production costs by 3% to 5%, Fehrenbach said. "We often lose contracts simply because of these few percentage points," he told the German business weekly Wirtschaftswoche. "An extended work week and the resulting cost cuts would be very helpful." A spokesman for the powerful IG Metall union nonetheless predicted that employees were unlikely to accept the increase. "Such an increase could mean every seventh employee losing their job. That is completely unacceptable," the spokesman, Franz Stroh, said.
Even worse news
Fehrenbach's comments came after Siemens, the German engineering giant, announced plans to move about one-third of its software development business, representing about 10,000 jobs, to eastern Europe in the next few years. "We are finding excellent employees there that are equipped with excellent training," said board member Johannes Feldmayer. Even worse news for German workers came earlier this month when a report showed that one of every four German companies surveyed by the DIHK chamber of commerce plans to transfer jobs abroad — mainly to Eastern Europe — in the hopes of reducing payroll costs.
Worth the sacrifice?
Faced with three years of economic stagnation and a stubbornly high jobless rate, some policymakers and economists have suggested that employees should give up a few hours of free time to help nudge Germany out the economic doldrums. The average German worked 1,444 hours in 2002, compared to 1,815 hours for the average U.S. worker and 1,707 for the average Briton. Among industrialized nations, only workers in Norway and the Netherlands worked fewer hours. With 30 days of vacation and 12 public holidays, German workers enjoy nearly twice as many free days as their counterparts in the United States, who on average have just 23 days off each year. And even those figures don't include another 12 days taken off by German employees each year due to sickness, training and other leave entitlements.