Interesting People mailing list archives

some perspective about the "power problem" (double entendre!)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:11:29 -0400

Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:25:39 -0700
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Subject: some perspective about the "power problem" (double entendre!)
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Bob McClure <rmm () unidot com>

One comment on the news today estimated that it would cost perhaps $10-billion to fix our apparently*-inadequate national power grid. Let's put that in perspective:

According to the DoD Comptroller, that's LESS THAN HALF of what we had already spent by mid-April on the current Bush's "Iraq adventure", and perhaps about 1/7th of the total we've spent** on that war, to date:

"Department of Defense Comptroller Dov Zakheim on April 16, 2003 briefed the press on the Pentagon's estimate that to date the war had cost between $10-$12 billion in military operations, including the cost of airlift and sealift of troops and equipment, plus another $9 billion in the first 3 1/2 weeks of conflict."

That guesstimated cost of fixing the nation's power grid is only about double -- or much less -- of what we taxpayers (and energy users) will pay JUST for getting out troops and equipment back to base, from Iraq:

"... the cost of returning troops and equipment to base would be another $5-$7 billion ..."

This smells much more like a[nother] case of self-interested, irresponsible corporate neglect. The energy cartel is just waiting for we taxpayers to pay the costs of upgrading the capital facilities they need for their profits.

Hey!, no sense in corporations paying to build facilities they need, when they can stampede Congress into using our taxes to pay for it! (Just another example of corporate welfare.)

--jim

* -- I wrote "apparently-inadequate" after seeing the media-labeled "power shortage" [NOT!] that was invented by Enron and the other members of the energy monopoly within a month after the 2000 elections.

** -- For much more detail of the costs and trade-offs of the Bush administration's "power problem", see http://www.costofwar.com/numbers.html .