Interesting People mailing list archives

Online predictive markets (IEEE Spectrum)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:25:10 -0400

Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:17:27 -0400
To: "David J. Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>
Subject: Online predictive markets (IEEE Spectrum)

<http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/aug03/future.html>

Toward A Bettor Future

A U.S. government betting pool for future terrorism events is gone, but predictive markets are here to stay

Dave,

Our take on Darpa's ill-fated Policy Analysis Market, the (bizarre, in our opinion) American Action Market, and online predictive markets in general. We share the view of a growing number of commentators that PAM was not taken as seriously as it deserved. Conversely, the AAM is perhaps being taken more seriously than *it* deserves.

 Steven
--

--
  Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566