Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Appropriate punishments for hackers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:38:18 -0400

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 22:29:31 -0500
From: gep2 () terabites com
Subject: [IP] Appropriate punishments for hackers
To: dave () farber net, lauren () vortex com

>>> I have less of a problem with house detention than the original author but > > strongly believe the book should get thrown at him unless there are mental > > problems. I, for one, am getting tired of seeing the net attacked for fun.
> > Dave [Farber]

>>Dave,

>>In essence, we've created a computing and network environment with the
>equivalent of big red flashing "DO NOT PUSH" buttons all over the place out
>in public, and then we act surprised and upset when bright, under-guided,
>bored kids push them.  That those buttons unleash such expensive
>consequences speaks mainly to inanity of the environment we've created --
>and the important applications we've inappropriately deployed in that
>environment -- and much less about the kids who push the "buttons."

[snip]

>>Hackers need to be held accountable.  But all of us who have built this
>marvel of computing technology, this delicate networking house of cards held
>together behind the scenes with the software equivalent of bent
>paper clips and duct tape, also bear responsibility.

You know, the fact that big plate glass windows are easily broken with a brick or that an expensive home can be set ablaze and destroyed with a cheap molotov cocktail is NOT an excuse for those vandals and criminals who choose destructive pursuits as hobbies and amusements... just because the store or building or home
"presented an attractive target" or "could have been better armored against
attack or vandalism" does not mean that those who choose to take advantage of
that weakness are not to be held accountable.

Most automobile door locks are laughably insecure, most home door locks not a
lot more so.  Locks and such keep honest people honest.  They are HARDLY
impenetrable.  Nor should they NEED to be.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.