Interesting People mailing list archives

What about SoBig?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:53:48 -0400

I got 1734 from 930 am to 230 pm today.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UNACCEPTABLE

Dave

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:18:49 -0500
From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgb () kgb com>
Subject: What about SoBig?
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave,

While the mainstream media is heavily reporting the FBI will nail the Blaster author today, there's nary a word on SoBig.

According to my spam filter logs, I received 2630 copies of it yesterday, and I'm still getting about 80-100 an hour.

Perhaps it's because I have a domain that's often spoofed, but I can't ever recall this kind of spam inundation. It's been non-stop for a week now.

I certainly hope the authorities are pursuing SoBig with equal vigor. According to a c|net story:

"Security researchers believe that the creator of the Sobig mass-mailing computer virus won't stop with Sobig.F--the money may be too good. The Sobig viruses, the first of which started spreading in January, are designed to load special software that can make spam anonymous on people's PCs. The tens of thousands of computers infected by the virus can then be used by bulk e-mailers to send unsolicited messages that can't be tracked."

http://news.com.com/2100-1083_3-5069594.html?tag=fd_lede2_hed

Regards,

KGB

-----