Interesting People mailing list archives

Would-be investor runs afoul of Patriot Act

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:12:32 -0400

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:50:46 -0700
From: Richard Perlman <perl () lucent com>
Subject: Would-be investor runs afoul of Patriot Act
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com

Dave,

In today's Chronicle there is an interesting column about impacts of the
Patriot act on what would not normally be though of as "terrorist" related
activities.  In the article noted below, columnist Kathleen Pender describes
what happens when the Patriot Act intersects with entralized, private, data
sources about our lives.

Richard

Would-be investor runs afoul of Patriot Act
Kathleen Pender,  San Francisco Chronicle, Thursday, August 28, 2003

Shortly after he graduated from college in May, French Clements of San Jose
tried to open an online brokerage account with Harrisdirect, where his
stepfather has an account.

A day after he completed the online application, however, he got a brief e-
mail from Harrisdirect saying, "We regret to inform you that we are unable
to approve your application at this time: The customer's identity not
properly authenticated per the USA Patriot Act."

Clements was stunned, and so was his mother, Alayne Yellum. "Maybe they
don't like people named French," she says.

Changing his first name to Freedom would not help.

Clements is an unintended victim of Section 326 of the Patriot Act...

See
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/08/28/BU298595.DTL&type=business