Interesting People mailing list archives

RSA Security Developing RFID Spoofers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:13:08 -0400

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:04:23 +1000
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
Subject: RSA Security Developing RFID Spoofers
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave

It appears RSA Security is listening to the concerns of citizens and is
developing technology to thwart the privacy invaders at the AutoID Center in
the US and here in Australia who are spruiking radio frequency
identification (RFID) tags to spy on us.

>From CNet:
"Researchers at a major security firm have developed a blocking technique to
ease privacy concerns surrounding controversial radio frequency
identification technology.

"The labs at RSA Security on Wednesday outlined plans for a technology they
call blocker tags, which are similar in size and cost to radio frequency
identification (RFID) tags but disrupt the transmission of information to
scanning devices and thwart the collection of data.

"The technique, one of few RFID-blocking technologies being worked on by
researchers, is still a concept in the labs. But the next step is to develop
prototype chips and see if manufacturers are interested in making the
processors, according to Ari Juels, a principal research scientist with RSA
Laboratories. Blocker and RFID tags are about the size of a grain of sand
and cost around 10 cents."

It doesn't surprise me.

I have had several meetings with RSA Security's Chief executive, Art
Coviello, and I have found him to be an honourable man. He told me in an
earlier interview that if police or security services came to RSA Security
demanding the keys to unlock a customer's private data, he would politely
decline.

"If I sold you a filing cabinet that had keys I would probably give you
multiple sets of keys," Coviello says.

"Once I've done that, I'm essentially done. If there was criminal activity
hidden in that filing cabinet, there's a thing called a search warrant to
demand of the end user the keys to that filing cabinet. So in all of our
products we have the ability to create keys because if someone left your
organisation you would want a key to get into the cabinet."

If you want to find out more about the AutoID Center's plans, plus how much
it costs to be a member, download the Powerpoint presentation (at the
address below) from one of its Australian members, Visyflow.

MORE:
http://bilskirnir.blogspot.com/2003_08_01_bilskirnir_archive.html#1062118268
50590767

-
Nathan Cochrane
Deputy IT Editor
:Next:
The Age and Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.next.theage.com.au

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.