Interesting People mailing list archives

Triennial Treatment of ISPs.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:52:39 -0400

From: Bruce Kushnick <bruce () NEWNETWORKS COM>
Subject: Triennial  Treatment of ISPs.
To: CYBERTELECOM-L () LISTSERV AOL COM

Here's why the Triennial Review is a terrible ruling ----

"Internet Service Providers. While internet service providers (ISPs) are only indirectly affected by our present actions, and ISPs are therefore not formally included within this present FRFA, we have addressed them informally to create a fuller record and to recognize their participation in this proceeding."

The FCC doesn't understand the role of ISPs or how lhe removal of line sharing will harm broadband and hundreds of remaining ISPs. It makes a totally ridiculous statement that the ISPs are only "indirectly affected by the ruling --- Duh....

The FCC has neglected to understand that ISPs were the connection between the Internet and the Customer --- It was the ISPs who brought the US Dialup and this group has been ignored by the FCC. The FCC doesn't understand that customers call the ISP and wanted their service upgraded to broadband. Instead, the FCC says --- Who needs ISPs, we'll let the cable and telco be the ISP, the broadband provider, and who needs anyone else? In fact, the FCC has neglected to examine the ISP issues for years and has helped in the collapse of this market. And now, instead of fixing their mistakes, the FCC says "let them eat cake' and refuses to examine the role of the ISP in the future of broadband.

And how bad does it get? Teletruth will be doing a more formal description of just how bad this ruling is in the next week. However, in our Comments we spoke of ISPs, not simply the needs of "small business customers of competitive LECs". It is clear that the FCC doesn't want to deal with ISPs but would rather make some bland statement that doesn't address the issues we raised -- and there are no proposed alternatives that will keep these companies in business.

"733. As an initial matter, we reject the contention that the Commission failed to consider the needs of small business customers of competitive LECs in fashioning the analysis set forth in this Order. We have grappled, throughout this proceeding and throughout this Order, with the consequences our determinations will have on all market participants, including small business providers and the small business end users about which TeleTruth, NFIB, SBA Advocacy, and Senator Talent express concern. We have also considered various alternatives to the rules we adopt, and have stated the reasons for rejecting these alternative rules, as commenters have urged. A summary of our analysis regarding small business concerns, and of alternative rules that we considered in light of those concerns, is presented in subsection"

Line sharing has been 'transitioned out" meaning, who cares about the ISP or their customers, or even the CLECs. The alternative the FCC has planned for competitors is line-splitting, meaning that someone like Covad has to also find another voice CLEC to partner with. The Bell doesn't have to share their current voice line. --- So what's going to happen to the hundreds of small ISPs who's customer just wants DSL.

In short, the FCC has left the ISPs in a no-man's land. It has stuck an entire class of competitive telecom service providers in a place where they get thrown out of business because the FCC hasn't bothered to do their job and come up with workable alternatives.

Bruce Kushnick, Teletruth