Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- blackmail / real world stego use

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:32:19 -0400

(If you decide this is worth forwarding, please attribute to "Anonymous"
and cut out my e-mail.  I'm not much on spam, and I don't need a
thousand responses from ticked off cypherpunks criticizing my admittedly
general explanation, either.)

Mr. Farber--

This scheme is not unlike one that could be used quite effectively with
naive anonymous cash protocols based on blind digital signatures.

In case you're not totally familiar with digital cash protocols, here's
how they work (just a rough overview; enough to explain the problem):

1. A user wishing to withdraw X dollars from his bank Y generates 100 messages, each with a unique ID, stating that "This message can be exchanged for X dollars in cash at bank Y". 2. The user then "blinds" each message so that it can't be read without a key. 3. The user then sends the blinded messages to bank Y, who selects one message at random and demands that the user send the information needed to "unblind" the other 99. 4. The user complies, and the bank verifies that each unblinded message has the same amount. When the bank is satisfied that this is true, it signs the remaining (blinded) message and sends it back to the user, transferring X dollars out of the user's account and into holding at the same time. 5. The user unblinds the message to obtain his signed bank check worth $100. Since the bank never learned the unique ID, it can't be traced to any of his transactions with the bank.

Anyway, the basic idea behind this scheme is pretty close to what the
Dutch gentleman is accused of having done.

1. Kidnap a child or threaten to do something nasty (e.g., poison products) 2. Demand, as ransom, that a bank sign a number of blinded messages, with an aggregate value of $10000.00, and publish the results in the New York Times.
        3. Read the messages, unblind them, and-- voila-- $10000.00 in
anonymous, untraceable digital cash.  Now feel free to release the kid
or  refrain from tampering with Tylenol bottles.

Just an interesting parallel. The guy used difficult-to-trace (though not completely anonymous) cash systems, a public forum for the transfer of the fund information, and a serious enough threat to actually get his demands met.

Kind of a neat way to do things.