Interesting People mailing list archives

Sobig's Friday 3 p.m. action

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:38:40 -0400

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:29:50 -0400
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Subject: Re: [IP] -- more on -- Sobig's Friday 3 p.m. action
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

And -- completely predictably:

        The existing list of 20 appears to list Windows PCs belonging
        to home users and connected to the internet via always-on,
        ADSL broadband connections, says Hypponen. "It is most likely
        that the party behind SoBig.F has broken into these computers
        and they are now being misused to be part of this attack."

        -- excerpt from New Scientist

Many of us in the anti-spam community have been reporting millions
of apparently-hijacked Windows PCs to the ISPs which "manage" cable
and DSL networks for months.  Those reports have, almost without
exception, been completely ignored -- we can tell that because the same
abuse comes from the same IP addresses with monotonous regularity.
If we get a response it all, it's from an ignorebot -- or it's from
the ISP's mail system telling us that the "abuse" mailbox is full.

The spam emitted from these systems, as observed here, went up three
orders of magnitude when an earlier variant of SoBig was released.
It went up by another factor of 50 when the next version came
out.  It remains to be seen what SoBig.F is up to -- or, if its
author finds the countermeasures now being undertaken to be overly
effective, when we'll see SoBig.G.

---Rsk