Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- U.S. drivers pumping gasoline at near-record prices

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:13:28 -0400

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:51:29 -0700
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () OLTECO com>
Subject: Re: [IP] U.S. drivers pumping gasoline at near-record prices
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

>Can some are explain to me why the stored gas supplies are low .I assume it too little to do with OPEC supplies

        Refinery problems...including the shutdown of Northeast refineries
        due to power outage along with low crude stocks with disruptions
        of supply from Venezuela, Nigeria, and Iraq in the past months.
        Refined gasoline also comes from Venezuela...

        MTBE, the main additive in reformulated gasoline, is apparently
        in short supply ...

REUTERS
Tight MTBE supply lifts Northeast US gasoline prices
Reuters, 08.21.03, 4:58 PM ET

By Soo Youn

NEW YORK, Aug 21 (Reuters) - Northeast drivers can expect to pay up
for gasoline until Labor Day weekend, largely as a result of a recent
jump in fuel additive MTBE prices.

As the result of several factors, including the maintenance,
shutdown, and reduced production of several of the larger producers
of methyl tertiary butyl ether, supplies of the oxygen-enhancing
chemical have tightened, and driven up the price of gasoline as a
result.

NYMEX September gasoline <HUU3> settled 9.57 cents or 9.5 percent
stronger at $1.0993 a gallon, after zooming to $1.1220, the highest
since March 10, when prompt gasoline hit $1.1630.

"MTBE is nonexistent," said one petrochemical trader, nothing that
MTBE was trading at 30.00 cents over the September gasoline futures
every day this week. In the beginning of August, MTBE was trading at
6.00 cents over the contract.

Traders say the largest producer of MTBE in the world, Lyondell
Chemical Co. (nyse: LYO - news - people), went into planned repairs
last Friday for nine days. Lyondell did not immediately return calls
for comment.

The Lyondell shutdown comes as other producers have either reduced
throughput or closed down completely. MTBE has been banned from
California, New York and Connecticut from Jan. 1, 2004, and most
refiners have already started blending with the corn-based
alternative, ethanol, consequently reducing demand.

As a result, blending economics are vulnerable to volatile prices for
the rest of the year.

In addition, little relief from imports was in sight. European MTBE
prices stayed above $400 a tonne this week after a surge earlier in
the month amid tight supplies, keeping the arbitrage to the U.S.
price closed, dealers said

        [...]

http://www.forbes.com/markets/newswire/2003/08/21/rtr1063905.html

        And:

        [...]

  U.S. gasoline supplies are 12.8 million barrels below their levels
from a year ago, having fallen 1.2 million barrels last week to 196.9
million barrels, the lowest level in nine months, according to the
U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA).

"The fact that supplies fell in spite of an expected rebound of
330,000 barrels per day (bpd) in gasoline imports and a 161,000 bpd
hike in production implies a continued exceptionally strong pace of
demand," said Jim Ritterbusch, market analyst and president of
Ritterbusch & Associates in Galena, Illinois.

Demand was at a robust 9.32 million barrels per day (bpd), just below
the previous week's level of 9.38 million bpd, EIA data showed on
Wednesday. The driving season usually marks its close by the Labor
Day holiday weekend, this year to be marked on Sept 1.

"We're now approaching the end of the month and gasoline is in the
New York Harbor (cash) market is still trading way above the
screen...that means the screen is cheap," said Ed Silliere, analyst
at Energy Merchant LLC in New York.

New York Harbor traders quoted prompt reformulated gasoline (RFG) as
high as 15 cents above the NYMEX screen as RFG stocks fell the
deepest last week in the East Coast.

        [...]
http://www.forbes.com/home_europe/newswire/2003/08/21/rtr1063514.html