Interesting People mailing list archives

Coming soon: car that parks itself

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:20:54 -0400

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:05:09 -0400
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
From: "K.Ellis" <guavaberry () earthlink net>
Subject: Coming soon: car that parks itself

The Age (AU) Coming soon: car that parks itself

Coming soon: car that parks itself
<http://www.theage.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupPrintArticle.pl?path=/articles/2003/08/19/1061261151432.html>
   By Toby Hagon
   Motoring Editor
   August 20, 2003

   It is the next big thing in vehicle automation: the self-parking car.

   In a revolutionary development for lazy and skill-deficient drivers,
   Toyota engineers in Japan have developed a car that can perform a
   perfect reverse park between two objects.

   The system will be launched in Japanese showrooms late next month as
   an optional extra with the second generation Prius petrol-electric
   hybrid car, which sells for about $40,000. The system took three years
   to develop and is being touted as a step towards the ultimate in
   vehicular automation: the self-driving car.

   The self-parking system uses a rear-mounted camera and a computer
   program to perform its task.

karen ellis

"I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum,
How could you be unhappy, when the sun shines out your bum!"
                                                                 Anon

The Educational CyberPlayGround
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com>
7 Hot Site Awards from New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC,
Earthlink USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty