Interesting People mailing list archives

] CEI's C:SPIN - Liability Limits Online

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:29:34 -0400

Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:03:30 -0400
From: "Prof. Jonathan Ezor" <jezor () tourolaw edu>
Subject: RE: [IP] CEI's C:SPIN - Liability Limits Online
To: dave () farber net

Interesting article.  There's one group of people, though, who act like ISPs
but often have none of the structure for dealing with problems that most ISPs
have had to develop: those who operate open Wi-Fi hotspots, either
intentionally or by accident because they haven't enabled security in their
wireless routers.  I wonder how long it will be before Fred Jones of 123
Maple St., Topeka gets a knock on the door from the FBI because some
enterprising young malicious hacker was driving by Fred's house and saw the
telltale message that said "Linksys--no encryption" from the wardriving
software running on the laptop on his passenger seat.  Fred certainly will
not have registered an agent for service of process under the Digital
Millenium Copyright Act, and certainly won't have insurance covering the
risks of unauthorized Wi-Fi usage either.

I don't envy the Freds of the world.  {Jonathan}

Professor Jonathan I. Ezor
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
300 Nassau Road, Huntington, NY 11743
Tel: 631-421-2244 x412  Fax: 516-977-3001
e. jezor () tourolaw edu
BizLawTech Blog: http://iblt.tourolaw.edu/blog
RSS: <http://iblt.tourolaw.edu/blog/index.rdf>