Interesting People mailing list archives

Elaine Scarry on defense policy...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:50:26 -0400

Worth reading

------ Forwarded Message
From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:23:57 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Elaine Scarry on defense policy...

Very interesting article on responsiveness of the military and
passengers, with the implications of centralization and local decision
making..

FOR THE PAST YEAR, we have spoken unceasingly about the events of
Sept. 11. But one aspect of that day has not yet been the topic of
open discussion: the difficulty we had as a country defending
ourselves. As it happened, the only successful defense was carried
out not by our professional defense apparatus but by the passengers
on Flight 93, which crashed in Pennsylvania. The purpose of this
essay is to examine the failures of Sept. 11, and the one success,
and ask if they suggest that something in our defense arrangements
needs to be changed.

The difficulty of defense on Sept. 11 turned in large part on the
rapid pace of events. But as we look carefully at the timelines and
timetables of that day, it is crucial to recall that the word
''speed'' did not surface for the first time on Sept. 11. It has in
fact been at the center of discussions of national defense for the
last 50 years. Throughout this period, the heart of our defense has
been a vast missile system all parts of which are described as going
into effect in ''a matter of minutes'': a presidential decision must
be made in ''a matter of minutes''; the presidential order must be
transmitted in ''a matter of minutes''; the speed of the missile
launch must be carried out ''in a matter of minutes''; and the
missile must reach its target in ''a matter of minutes.'' The
matter-of-minutes claim is sometimes folded into the names of our
weapons (as in the Minuteman missile) and other times appears in
related banner words such as ''supersonic'' and ''hair-trigger.''

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/265/focus/FailsafeP.shtml

--
                                   -Hume

------ End of Forwarded Message

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com