Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Small company matching 20,000 WTC DNA samples

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:32:55 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Wiggins <wiggins () msu edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:19:53
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Small company matching 20,000 WTC DNA samples

Fascinating article about a company that is working feverishly to
match 20,000 DNA samples from ground zero against DNA from combs
and toothbrushes provided by WTV victims' families:

Howard Cash, CEO of company, Gene Codes, says:
"This is the most important thing I'll ever do in my professional life,"

 ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- An Ann Arbor software company has had the daunting
task of identifying victims from the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center.
The city of New York hired Gene Codes Corp. to match DNA extracted from 20,000
pieces of human bone and tissue at Ground Zero to the list of 2,801 missing
persons.

Detroit Free Press story:

http://www.freep.com/money/business/walsh11_20020911.htm

AP wire version:

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?g95
BC_MI--Sept.11-VictimIde&&news&newsflash-michigan

/rich

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/