Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: an interchange on Afilias -- Old Internet Thinking RIP

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:17:31 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Adam Peake <ajp () glocom ac jp>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:12:57 +0900
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: an interchange on Afilias --  Old Internet  Thinking RIP

 From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
 Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
 To: farber () cis upenn edu
 Subject: Re: IP: Old Internet Thinking RIP

 Froomkin seems to have missed that the technical work for .org is going to
 > be performed by Afilias, a well-established registry operator.

But information about Afilias' operational performance should be
available.  The 7 new tlds handed out in 2000 were intended as a
proof of concept, contracts included rigorous reporting requirements,
everything from technical performance compliance to marketing plans.
And that information should have been made public. Info at ICANNWatch
<http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=923&mode=&order=0>

Thanks,

Adam

 > Ole

 Ole J. Jacobsen
 Editor and Publisher
 The Internet Protocol Journal
 Office of the CTO, Cisco Systems
 Tel: +1 408-527-8972
 GSM: +1 415-370-4628
 E-mail: ole () cisco com

From: Carl Malamud <carl () media org>

Well ... we don't really know that Afilias is a well-established registry
operator, do we?  Do they meet their SLAs?  Does their code conform with
the EPP spec? How's internal performance?  Are security procedures really
in place?

There are no public studies by reputable sources that have examined the
technical performance of the Afilias registries and I certainly don't
see any public facilities available that allow me to make that assessment.

The paper trail stops.   I can't do technical due diligence and it is pretty
clear that nobody doing the .org evaluations did any due diligence.  That
may be appropriate for pitching a .com business plan or writing an OSI
standard,
but it isn't my understanding of how you run a public service on the
Internet.

--

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: