Interesting People mailing list archives

END OF THREAD Billy Bragg Bio.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:11:56 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Crawford <[mailto:joe () artlung com]>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 1:08 PM
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Billy Bragg Bio.

David Farber wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Caruso <<[mailto:caruso () hybridvigor org]>> Sent: Friday,
October 25, 2002 8:17 AM
To: farber () dsl cis upenn edu
Subject: Fwd: "the price of oil"

Dave, I got this -- with the accompanying MP3, which I'm not sending
you since I"m on a dialup line -- from a friend last night. Billy
Bragg, if you haven't heard of him, is a very popular country-western
singer. Not exactly the coastal liberal elite. As my friend below
writes, "kind of amazing." For the list if you'd like.

For the record == Billy Bragg <http://www.billybragg.co.uk/> is a brit,
is an avowed left-wing / political activist. His songs are in a folk,
rather than country/western == and he's been active in music since I was

in High School at least (15 years+)

Not that this negates the song, but the impression this intro gives
would have you think that this is some Garth Brooks coming out with
this.

Here's his bio:
http://www.billybragg.co.uk/biography/index.html

<snip>
"Apart from his music and his sense of humour, Billy is also well known
for his personal commitment to political and humanitarian issues. He
says he was politicised by Margaret Thatcher, and his experiences while
actively supporting the British mining communities during the Miners
Strike of 1984/85 proved a strong early influence. This later led him to

create a coalition of musicians, Red Wedge, which offered critical
support for the UK's Labour Party during the 1987 General Election. He
has been a longstanding and vociferous campaigner against racism and has

lent his solidarity to many international issues in many ways, including

performing to raise funds. In 1993 Billy became a father and curtailed
his rigorous touring schedule in order to spend time with his family."

        - Joe
--
Joe Crawford, web journeyman.  San Diego Calif. USA http://artlung.com/
.............||||||||||||||||| latest thought: http://artlung.com/blog/

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com