Interesting People mailing list archives

A Price Worth Paying

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:23:21 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>

Dave:

This is from the top front page article in today's copy of the (UK)
Guardian newspaper:

Woolf warns government over human rights

Clare Dyer, legal correspondent
Wednesday October 16, 2002
The Guardian

Judges will step in to safeguard unpopular minorities or individuals
if parliament or the government, urged on by the tabloids, tramples
on their rights, the lord chief justice pledged last night.

Lord Woolf, England's senior judge, said the unpopularity the judges
could incur would be "a price worth paying" to ensure Britain
remains a democracy committed to the rule of law.

Full text at:

   http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/story/0,7369,812718,00.html

I was delighted to see this article, since I'd been involved in a
discussion last week in Brussels with a senior EU official who was
denying the truth of what I told him of the claims made in a US
article I saw recently on your IP list (quoting the Washington
Post?). This was the article saying that the US judiciary were
exercising a degree of restraint against what they viewed as official
over-reactions in the name of counter-terrorism, and commenting that
such restraints were not as yet effective in the UK and elsewhere in
Europe.

cheers

Brian

PS I've looked unsuccessfully through the IP archive for this earlier
article, since I wanted to send a copy to Brussels. Could you
identify it for me please.
--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK

------ End of Forwarded Message

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com