Interesting People mailing list archives

more on speech by Rep Stark. D Calif

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:02:23 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Hiawatha Bray <watha () monitortan com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:21:54 -0400
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: RE: <[IP]> speech by Rep Stark. D Calif

The only thing that's stunningly clear from this speech is that Rep. Stark
is a fool.  This crude, insulting, ill-argued pile of claptrap would be a
lifelong embarassment to the man, if he had the sense to understand his own
folly.

Among Stark's more glaring idiocies:

"Make no mistake, we are voting on a resolution that grants total authority
to the president, who wants to invade a sovereign nation without any
specific act of provocation."

I guess Iraq's daily efforts to kill American servicemembers patrolling the
no-fly zone doesn't count.  And never mind all those UN resolutions
demanding disarmament.  Certainly mustn't be bothered to enforce those.

    Stark wants "careful and cautious diplomacy," but what does he want the
US
and the world to do when diplomacy has failed?  What would he have done back
in 1936, when the Hitler regime began its policy of systematically flouting
the treaty that settled WWI?  Obviously, he'd have done exactly what the
European powers did do--nothing.  And we all know how that one turned out.

I won't even waste time quoting the "upper-class white boy" jibe.  Speaking
as a (formerly) lower-class black man, I think Stark's even raising the
issue in a foreign policy debate gives us ample insight into his stupidity
and crudity of mind.  What on earth does Bush's race or class have to do
with...anything?

And there's the crack about foreign territory and Kashmir.  Does anybody
even think this is funny?  But even if you do, what on earth is it doing
here, in the midst of a profoundly serious debate on war and peace?  Is
Stark so impoverished in intellect and argument that all he can manage are
playground jibes?

I could go on; there's no limit to the nonsense to be found here.  But life
is too short.  Suffice it to say that this speech is the work of a moron.
And the fact that the editors of the moribund Webzine Salon regard this as
one of the great orations of the age tells you a lot about why Salon is on
the brink of bankruptcy.

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe