Interesting People mailing list archives

Editors observations on Home Land security and industry

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 19:55:13 -0400

I have had several opportunities to attend industrial oriented meetings on
home land security and cyber-security. I hear statements from government on
how critical it is to defend our cyber and infrastructure security and how
they count on industrial cooperation and leadership.

Then I hear that 90 some odd % of industry polled feels that they are
invulnerable to attack.

In the NY metropolitan area, the home of our financial  and banking industry
-- a prime target for cyber attack, a large number of people trained in
computer security are out of jobs. The downsizing of the banks and financial
companies has resulted in them terminating these "non mainstream" technical
computer people. These folks are walking the street.

Do I see a serious problem facing us. Yup. The strong interest I saw from
industry was to corral government contracts.

I am afraid that if we want a secure cyber-structure it will take strong
pressure from the government via regulations and procurement and soon, if we
are to have the technical talent to implement them.

All to much of industry is chasing the next quarters earnings and stock
prices and damn the future.

Comments?

Dave

You are subscribed as interesting-people () lists elistx com